spoht
 Back
< Previous Stop
   Next Stop >

8. HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, 140 Brooke St. Continue on Old Jane St. to Brooke St. to the site of this church, first located an the west side of Yonge St. at Royal Orchard Blvd. In 1950 it was dismantled, tagged and re-assembled here. Founded in 1830 by William Parsons and Benjamin Thorne, this is the oldest original church building still in use in the Anglican Diocese of Toronto. The window, second from the front on the north side, is dedicated to Benjamin Thorne, both village and church founder.
Holy Trinity Church
Back to image of Holy Trinity Church


Holy Trinity Church plaque
Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church was built on the west side of Yonge Street at Royal Orchard Boulevard in 1830 by a congregation that had worshipped since 1815 at nearby Cober schoolhouse.
The entire building was dismantled and rebuilt on this site in 1950. It is the oldest original church building in continuous use in the Anglican Diocese of Toronto.
Memorial windows in the church commemorate William Parsons and Benjamin Thorne who jointly donated the land on which the Church first stood.
The first Rector, the Reverend George Mortimer officiated at the funeral of Colonel Moodie, the first victim of the Rebellion of 1837. The mourners came armed with guns and pitchforks fearing a rebel attack. None occurred.
For over 150 years, Holy Trinity met the challenges of faith in times of rebellion, flood, pestilence, poverty and plenty. This heritage points to a promising future.

Erected by the Society for the Preservation of Historic Thornhill and the Thornhill Recycling Association with the assistance of The Ontario Ministry of Culture and Recreation. 1982.
< Previous Stop
Next Stop >

 Back

© 2014 The Society for the Preservation of Historic Thornhill