spoht
 Back
< Previous Stop
   Next Stop >

3. ST. LUKE'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH CEMETERY, is first left off Church Lane. Until 1954 this was the only Catholic burying ground between Toronto and Newmarket.
St. Luke's Cemetery.
Back to cemetery image


St. Luke's Cemetery plaque.
St. Luke's Cemetery
The Roman Catholic parish of St. Luke's was established in 1846 to serve Thornhill and surrounding area. Many parishioners travelled over thirteen miles by horse and buggy to attend Sunday services. The cemetery, started in 1847, was the only Catholic burial ground in the area. It served as the resting place for families from as far away as Woodbridge to the west, Markham to the east and Newmarket to the north.
One of the earlier stones in the cemetery is that of founding member Edward Seager (1809-1879), who married Catherine Cain, and converted to Catholicism.
In 1972 the church building was sold to St. Volodymyr's, a Ukrainian Catholic church.

Erected by the Society for the Preservation of Historic Thornhill, 2000 A.D.
< Previous Stop
Next Stop >

 Back

© 2014 The Society for the Preservation of Historic Thornhill