The Arnold House is located on land that has been held by members of the Arnold family from 1834 to the mid 1940's. The Arnold family descended directly from Captain John Arnold, a United Empire Loyalist from New Jersey who came to New Brunswick on the May Fleet in 1790 and trekked to Niagara and then to Thornhill in 1792. During the War of 1812 he served with the York Militia and was taken prisoner as cited in the Terms of Capitulation, April 27, 1813. In 1860, his son Robert J. Arnold, Reeve of Vaughan Township 1861-63, built this home on Yonge Street directly southeast of this location to which it was moved in 1981. From 1909 to 1934 the home was owned and occupied by John W. Breakey. In 1935 it returned again to the Arnold family when it was rented to Robert J. Arnold's daughter Annie Cora (Mrs. R. J. Davidson), who lived in it until 1940.
A joint community project of the Town of Vaughan, The Thornhill District Lions' Club and the Society for the Preservation of Historic Thornhill with financial assistance from the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Culture.
Official Opening June 18, 1983