spoht
 Back
< Previous Stop
   Next Stop >

F4 SIDE TRAIL, HEINTZMAN HOUSE, 135 Baythorn Dr. Continue along Baythorn Dr. to Royal Orchard Blvd. where this handsome property is located on the southeast corner. Originally the land was settled in the early 1800s by Loyalist Anthony Hollingshead. When Col. George William Cruickshank, a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars, and later the area's first justice of the peace, arrived in 1816, he built a 13-room mansion around the original two-room farm house. After Cruickshank sold it in 1854, it was owned by a number of families. During the 1970s, John Francis bought what was than known as Sunnyside Manor. Samuel Francis, one of nine children born there, took over the home and farm in 1892. Charles Heintzman of the Toronto piano company, bought the property from Francis about 1930. He made many contributions including the art deco interior. After Heintzman's demise, the property was bought by the Town of Markham. With a grand ballroom, solarium, meeting rooms and landscaped grounds, it is rented out for social and public occasions, but is not open to the public. Several supernatural events point to the evidence of a ghost. In May 2000 this building was officially recognized by the United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada. It has been the scene of Hollingshead family reunions.

Heintzmzn House, 135 Baythorn Dr.
< Previous Stop
Next Stop >

 Back

© 2014 The Society for the Preservation of Historic Thornhill