SIDE TRAIL, HOLY TRINITY CEMETERY, Yonge St.
near Royal Orchard Blvd. This cemetery, dating back to 1830, is
worth a visit. You may walk north on the west side of Yonge St. to
Royal Orchard Blvd, or drive and park in the small lot or at the
shopping plaza across the street. This was the cemetery for (Holy)
Trinity Church now moved to Brooke St. (see #8). Col. Moodie, the
first victim of the 1837 Rebellion, is buried here. There are also
monuments to Benjamin Thorne, village founder, and to the Edey
family. Many other prominent Thornhill families are buried
to Holy Trinity Cemetery image.
Thornhill Settlement Village
Holy Trinity Burying
Thornhill's first official cemetery was in the churchyard of Holy
Trinity Church built on this site in 1830 and moved to Brooke
Street in 1950. The Parish Hall was added in 1928 and serves a
Baptist congregation. The historic burying ground remains to serve
parishioners who have settled here since the early 1800's.
The oldest headstone, dated 1804, commemorates Rebecca Willson who
fled New Jersey with her family as Loyalist refugees in 1793. Other
headstones record the drama of immigration and rugged settlement,
War in 1812, Rebellion in 1837, fire, flood, epidemic and of
The reality of daily life is dominant. These men, women and
children lived by the seasons, working with their hands and minds
to create our community.
Erected by the Society for the Preservation of Historic Thornhill
and Holy Trinity Anglican Church, with the assistance of the
Ontario Ministry of Culture and Recreation. 1983.