spoht
 Back
< Previous Stop
   Next Stop >

7. Plaque, north side of Old Jane St.
Thornhill Schoolhouse plaque.
Click here to view plaque and text.


Dundurn Village Circa 1825 plaque.
Dundrun Village Circa 1825
Jane and Elizabeth Streets were originally named Strachan and Hillier in the plans for the fated Dundurn Village to the south and west of Yonge, as set out by Allan Napier MacNab, th Brookes and the Attorney General D'Arcy Boulton (Builder of the Grange in 1818; restored in 1971), members of the ruling 'Family Compact.
Brooke Street was named Maitland after the Lieutenant Governor Sir Peregrine Maitland. Major Hillier was his aide-de-camp while Strachan was the first Anglican Bishop of York.
The two streets was subsequently renamed after the daughters of Master builder John Edey, ca.1845, whose famed Edey House was moved from the southwest corner of Jane and Yonge to Leahill Drive in 1966.  From their backyard a parrot amused the children in the nearby schoolyard.
 
Erected by the Society for the Preservation of Historic Thornhill and the Thornhill District Lions Club with the assistance of the Ontario Ministry of Culture and recreation, 1982.
< Previous Stop
Next Stop >

 Back

© 2014 The Society for the Preservation of Historic Thornhill