1846 - 1922
Thornhill's third schoolhouse was built on this site in 1846
at a cost of $875. It burned down in may, 1922 during a hectic week
in which four fires had been set by an itinerent youth apprehended
as he was about to set his fifth fire.
A favourite Halloween prank was the joining by rope of the bell in
the school tower to the bell in the tower of the nearby Methodist
Church (built in 1833 near Baythorn Ave. and moved to its present
location in 1852). The rope was set in motion causing both bells
the loudly ring at three o'clock in the morning.
Erected by the Society for the Preservation of Historic Thornhill
and the Thornhill District Lions Club with the assistance of the
Ontario Ministry of Culture and recreation, 1982.
[Note: The Methodist Church referred to on this plaque,
whichstood at the south west corner
of Centre and Elizabeth Streets, was damaged by fire on June 19,
1983 and was later dismantled.]